Fall isn’t just the time when kids go back to school; it also means enrollment under the Affordable Care Act is just around the corner. Starting on October 1, people without health care insurance — including 10.2 million Latinos — will be able to shop through the new health care marketplace to compares prices and plans and get covered. No one plans to get sick or hurt, but most people need medical care at some point. Health insurance covers these costs and protects you from very high expenses.
With open enrollment less than a month away, this is a great opportunity to review some of the key components of the Affordable Care Act and the health care marketplace that are important to know before October 1.
How does the health care law affect me?
- If you already have health insurance, you now have access to expanded preventative services like checkups, cancer screenings, mammograms and contraception at NO additional cost.
- Young adults, including nearly one million young Latinos, can now remain on their parents’ health insurance plan until the age of 26.
- Many seniors will save hundreds of dollars each year on their prescription drugs.
- Health insurance companies will no longer be able to deny you coverage or charge you more because of a pre-existing health conditions, including pregnancy or disability.
- Beginning 2014, most people are required to have health coverage. If they don’t, they may have to pay a fee.
- If you need help finding a plan, several kinds of help will be available to give you personalized assistance with the process.
What is the new Health Insurance Marketplace?
The Marketplace, also known as the insurance “exchange,” is a new, simple way to find health coverage that fits your budget and meets your needs. With one application, you can see all your options and enroll. You can comparison shop in an online marketplace, just like you would for cell phone plans or plane tickets. This tool will help you save money on your monthly premium for private health insurance and you will be able to find out if you qualify to reduce out-of-pocket costs. You can learn more about the new health insurance marketplace through live chat online or calling toll-free 24/7 at 1-800-318-2596.